Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Quick Flight

Sitting in a rather small UN plane on the way to Kakuma. It's a beautiful sunny day. The landscape of Kenya is hard to make out from up here. There are a few big lakes, which somehow seems unexpected. On the right side, Mt. Kenya looms large. It appears to be floating in the clouds. Quite a sight.

The plane is nearly full. The young Irish bloke next to me is an intern with UNHCR, halfway through his 6 month internship. I'm wondering about who all the other people are, and what brings them here. See they all aid workers? Do some of them live there?

Managed to grab my iPod before we left. Nice to have a soundtrack for a few minutes. I should probably be grabbing some shut eye like everyone else, but somehow there's too much to look at - too much to think about. I'm sure I'll hit the wall at some point.

Getting close now. The landscape is much more barren. Descent is starting. From the air, you really get a sense of how huge the camp is.

Well, we're here.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

cool, man. it sounds just like the peace corps, except much shorter. kinda like my job here in the third world failed state of oakland, except much longer.

watch out for scammers and hippos.

JRo